Your first stop for all potato matters!
With over 25 years experience of breeding, growing, exporting and selling.
Formed in 2005 Strathmore Potatoes Limited ( SPL ) has grown into one of the UK’s leading privately owned potato businesses. We are one of a select few companies directly involved in the full cycle of potato production. We are breeders, have our own PBTC mini-tuber production facility, export/import seed and ware and have strong established relationships both in the UK and abroad.
Our commitment to customer care and customer satisfaction are paramount to us and are attributes we feel are strong within our business. We currently export to Cyprus, Egypt, Europe and North Africa and we are always looking for new relationships worldwide.
- SPL has a wide customer/partner base covering countries within the EU, North Africa, Middle East and beyond.
- SPL are committed to sourcing the highest quality seed and ware potato stocks for all our Import and Export customers.
- Import and Export are growth areas for us and we are looking for partners that share our business ethics.
- We have a portfolio of varieties for new markets.
- SPL can offer exclusive marketing agreement opportunities.
- SPL contract grow in excess of 200 hectares of seed with selected growers throughout the UK and procure a further 250 hectares from our dedicated growers.
- Highest selection protocols enabling the supply of qualty produce.
- Fully integrated production from mini-tuber PBTC to Pre-basic, S grade, SE and Elite certification.
- Transparency throughout our whole supply chain.
- Open market or fixed price contracts to suit supplier / customer needs.
- 15,000 – 20,000 Tonnes annual sales of potatoes.
- Our commitment to the care and satisfaction of our suppliers and customers are paramount to us and core to our business.
- SPL are marketing agents for Wilja.
- Access to all the leading varieties within the UK and abroad.
- Members of the British Potato Trade Association.
- SASA approved pre-basic tissue culture micro-propagation facility and dedicated protected growing unit.
- Purpose built tissue culture laboratory and designated mini-tuber cold storage unit.
- Certified virus free mini-tubers from SASA supplied nuclear stock.
- Protected growing environment to ensure maximum health status of all our progeny.
- Exclusive range of varieties held as nuclear stock cultures.
- Purpose built facilities for analysing and assesing seed and ware.
- Quality proceedures ensure the right product reaches our customers.
- Full crop management protocols.
- Tuber disease assesments and growing crop disease diagnosis.
- BASIS and FACTS trained staff to provide advice as and when required.
Latest News and Information
Keep up to date!
We are always looking to provide the best deals and services for our existing and new customers, so dont put it off, give us a call now or subscribe to our email list to be informed of the latest news. You can also follow us on Facebook, by clicking the icon below.
Stuart is the Managing Director of the company and has over 35 years experience within the industry. Stuart’s responsibilities include the daily running of the business and developing new markets. After leaving school, Stuart served in HM Forces REME for 7 years then joined the potato industry in 1984 where he worked for both privately owned and multi-national potato businesses. In 2005 Stuart and partner Carol Pirie successfully completed a management buy-out which then saw the formation of Strathmore Potatoes Limited.
Carol's Profile to go here
Profile to be added soon.
Being brought up locally on a mixed arable farm helped Niall to have a good understanding of agriculture. Graduating with a degree at Craibstone Agriculture College in 2000, Niall went on to work with the Agricultural College in the Advisory Service. During this time Niall passed BASIS & FACTS certification for all crops. Having spent three years with SAC based in Kelso and Shetland, Niall began working in the seed potato industry in 2003. Having gained experience as a Fieldsman, Niall moved onto sales and since joining Strathmore in 2009 he has helped to develop Strathmore in trading between 15,000t to 20,000t annually of seed and ware. Niall became a director of Strathmore Potatoes in 2014. In his spare time he enjoys hobby breeding and football.
Arlene's Profile to go here
Profile to be added soon.
Daan has managed the minituber production at Strathmore Potatoes since 2017 and also contributes to trial work during the season. Daan has a Doctorate in plant pathology with specialist focus on potatoes. His career has covered blight trial work with the Sarvari Trust ( Sarpo varieties Axona, Mira ), nematology ( PCN ) at Rothamsted Research, potato pathology ( blackleg, powdery scab ) at SRUC and precision agriculture approaches to growing potatoes at SoilEssentials. Daan also contributes to the AHDB Strategic Potato Farm programme in Scotland.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have a query or require further information, using one of the methods below. Our staff will be more than happy to assist you!
How to find us
Please use the interactive map below to find us.